Madan Lal – Cricketer
- He was the member of 1983 legendary World Cup Winning Team.
- His ancestors belonged to district Hamirpur of Himachal Pradesh.
Charanjit Singh – Hockey Player
He was a former Field hockey player. He was born in Mairi, Himachal Pradesh (then Punjab). He was the captain of the Indian Hockey Team that won the ‘Gold‘ medal in the 1964 ‘SUMMER OLYMPICS‘ at Tokyo, Japan.
The Great Khali aka Dalip Singh Rana – Wrestler
- Dalip Singh Rana aka Khali is world famous as an Indian and American professional wrestler. He hails from Dhiraina village in distt. Sirmaur. He is famous for his great height 7 ft 1 inch(2.16m).
- In 2014, he was described as the 8th tallest professional wrestler in the history of wrestling.
Some of his achievements:-
- Pro Wrestling Illustrated – PWI ranked him # 83 of the Top 500 single wrestlers in the PWI500 in 2008.
- He won WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP in WWE .
- He also won CONTINENTAL HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP and was a Champion for 2 times.
- Apart from this The Great Khali also worked on several movies both from Hollywood and Bollywood.
Samresh Jung – Sports Shooter
Samresh Jung is a wonderful Sports Shooter who hails from Haripur khol, Nahan distt Sirmaur. He is a son of retired Colonel of the Indian Army and Grandson of a freedom fighter Mr. Sher Jung from whom he learnt the art of Shooting.
He has got a big list of achievements:–
- He was awarded ARJUNA AWARD by the Government Of India in 2002.
- He was also awarded “DAVID NIXON AWARD ” (as the best athlete of the games) in ‘Commonwealth Games’ in which he won 5 Gold Medals,1 silver, and 1 bronze each for the country in 2006.
- He won total of 9 Gold Medals, 6 Silver Medals, and 2 Bronze Medals in Commonwealth Games only and for different categories of Shooting.
- In SAF GAMES , He won 1 Silver Medal.
- Indian National Games, He won 1 Gold Medal.
Shiva Keshavan – Luge
- Shiva Keshavan is a FIVE TIME OLYMPIAN who is born and brought up in Manali, distt Kullu. He is the First Indian Representative to compete in ‘ WINTER OLYMPIC GAMES ‘. He holds a world record for being the “YOUNGEST EVER OLYMPIAN“.
- In 2011 he set a new ASIAN SPEED RECORD at 134.3 km/h (83.5 mph) after beating the previous record of 131.9 km /h and won Gold Medal in Asia Cup in Nagano, Japan and In 2012 he set a new Asian Track Record at 49.590 seconds.
This man has got many achievements in his life in a very short span, which inspires every Indian out there.
- He was a nominee for ARJUNA AWARD in 2012.
- He was also nominated for PARSHURAM AWARD by the govt. of Himachal Pradesh.
- He won ” NDTV OUTSTANDING PERFORMER OF THE YEAR” AWARD in 2012.
- He won 3 Gold Medals in Men’s Singles in 2011,2012 and 2016. And 4 Silver Medals in 2009,2013,2014,2015. And 2 Bronze Medals in 2005 and 2008 in Nagano, Japan.
Ajay Thakur – Kabaddi
- Ajay Thakur is a professional Kabaddi player who belongs to village Dabhota, Nalagarh distt Solan. He is one of the “Best Indian Raiders” of all time which is a great achievement for a player.
- He was the Star player and ” Man Of The Tournament ” in Kabaddi World Cup in 2016 because of his outstanding performance.
- He was also a Key Player in the Indian Kabaddi Team that won the Gold Medal at Incheon in ‘ASIAN Games’ in 2014.
During the 2016 Kabaddi World Cup, he was the No.1 Raider if the Tournament with most raid points. He won the title of Highest Overall Points Scorer with 68 points.
Some of his Achievements for the country.
- His best performance came in the final Vs Iran with a game-winning effort scoring 12 Raid Points.
- Asian Indoor and Martial Arts Games Kabaddi Gold Medal in 2013.
- Gold Medal at 2007 ” Asian Indoor Games”.
- Gold Medal in Asian Games in 2014.
- His signature move is the “ Frog Jump ” once he scores a point.
Vijay Kumar – Sports Shooter
He is another brilliant Sports Shooter who hails from village Barsar in the distt of Hamirpur. He is presently serving for Indian Army as Subedar Major in the Dogra Regiment.
- He won total 5 Gold Medals in ” Commonwealth Games ” in which 2 Gold Medals in 2006, Melbourne. And 3 Gold Medals in Delhi in 2010. And 1 Silver Medal in ‘ASIAN GAMES’ in 2010.
- He won 1 Silver Medals in “OLYMPIC GAME ” in London,2012, for 25m Rapid Fire Pistol.
- In ISSF (International Shooting Sports Federation ) world shooting championship he won 2 Silver Medals in 2009 and 2011.
- 1 Silver Medal in Incheon in 2014 and 2 Bronze Medals in Doha and Guangzhou in 2006 and 2010 in ‘ASIAN Games’.
He was awarded ARJUNA AWARD in 2007, RAJIV GANDHI KHEL RATNA AWARD in 2012, ATI VISHISHT SEVA MEDAL in 2013 and PADMA SHRI in 2013.
Sushma Verma – Cricketer
- Sushma Verma is a wicket- keeper and Right Hand Batsman in the India Women’s National Cricket Team. She hails from a place called Sunni, in distt. Shimla(Sunni).
- She is the first Cricketer from Himachal to represent India in International Cricket.
Recently she gave an outstanding performance in Women’s World Cup against Pakistan which helps Team India in winning the match.
Dicky Dolma – climber
- Dicky Dolma is a mountain climber and Guinness Book Of World Record winner for THE FIRST YOUNGEST WOMAN TO SUMMIT MOUNT EVEREST at the age of 19 on May 10, 1993.
- This moment occurred on the Indo- Nepal Women’s Everest Expedition and this Expedition was led by the first woman from India to summit Mt. Everest, Mrs. Bachendri Pal.
Dicky was also a Skier and attended numerous Sporting Competitions including the 1989 All India Open Auli Ski Festival and the Asian Winter Games in 1999.
Sita Gussain – Hockey
- Sita Gussain was the member of the India Women’s National Field Hockey Team. She hails from Nahan, distt Sirmaur.
- She was the member of the Team who won the Gold Medal at the Manchester in 2002 in Commonwealth Games.
- She was also a member of 2002 “Champions Challenge ” in Johannesburg in which Team India won the Bronze Medal.
We hope that you feel proud by knowing about our heroes and their achievements which fills us with pride. There are many such other talents in our state who have done something similar for our state and country overall. We would like to congratulate them for all this that they have achieved and we also hope they will keep inspiring the younger generations to be like them or even better.