1) Himansh is the Glaciological Research Centre which is situated at an altitude of nearly 13,500 feet or 4000 mtr in the Spiti Valley of Himachal Pradesh and it is consider to be the highest point from where an Indian Glacier Research Facility is functioning.
2) The Glacial Research Lab is established by the National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR).
3) The research centre is equipped with Automatic Weather Stations, Ground Penetrating Radars, Geodetic GPS systems and other technological facilities to study glaciers and their discharge.
4) The NCAOR will be serving as the base for Terrestrial Laser Scanners and Unmanned Aerial Vehicles to Digitise Glacier Movements and Snow Cover Variations.
5) The Digital Satellite Phone Terminal System established in the Himansh is the only communication link to the outer world. As Himansh is situated at very tough terrain with rough weather marked by harsh winds and bone freezing temperatures which in winters drop upto -30┬░C.
6) The NCAOR centre Himansh is expected to provide research support to scientists to quantify the changes happening in the Himalayan Glaciers and its Hydrological discharge contribution.
7) The research plan to undertake integrated studies using Glaciological and Glacio- hydrological methods to quantify the glaciers stability in the region and to quantify the contribution from water melting from glacial to the river discharge in the Indus Basin.
We hope you learnt something of value today and please do share this article with your friends. We need to get this message across our generation that saving the environment is crucial and more of a compulsion to assure the survival of different species.
Save Environment, Save Planet!