Kullu is a district in Himachal Pradesh, India. The district stretches from the village of Rampur in the south to the Rohtang Pass in the North. According to the 2011 census Kullu district has a population of 437,474, roughly equal to the nation of Malta. The district has a population density of 79 inhabitants per square kilometre (200/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 14.65%. Kullu has a sex ratio of 942 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 80.14%. Lets know about “25 Facts about Kullu district that you probably don’t know”.
1) Kullu was known as “Kulanth Peeth” which means “end of the habitable world“. It literally means that it is a place or Peeth where all dharmic tradition and their knowledge ends.
2) Kullu town was known as “KulutaDesh” in Ancient Granths.
3) In Vedic Sahitya “KulutaDesh” was known as “Gandharvo ki Bhoomi” which is also mentioned in Ramayana, Mahabharata and Vishnu Puran.
4) Kullu dynasty was first setup by ‘Vihangamanipal‘ who came from Haridwar(Mayapuri).
5) ‘Nirmand‘ town of distt Kullu is said to be ‘Choti Kashi‘ of Kullu.
6) Hiuen Tsang, a Chinese traveller who came to Kullu (ancient Kuluta kingdom) in 635 A.D. has said that in the middle of the kuluta kingdom there is a stupa built by “Ashoka The Great“,the Tathagata.
A stone image of ‘Avalokiteshvara‘ is still worshipped in this village as Kapil Muni.
7) Captain R.C Scot of British Army was the one who introduced the first British style apple orchards in village Bandrol near Patlikul of Kullu Distt.
But were not popular because of their taste.
8) Oldest democracy of the world is of village ‘Malana‘ which is in the Parvati Valley of kullu.
It is also famous for its World Class Hashish which has won two awards for worlds best Hashish.
9) Himachal Pradesh’s biggest hydroelectricity project (2051 MW) is in the Parvati Valley of Kullu distt which supports states of Gujarat, Punjab, Delhi, Haryana and Rajasthan.
10) Solang valley or Solang Nullah(Nala) of Kullu distt hosts the International Skiing Competition like ‘Alpine Premier league’ and also hosts national winter sports.
[wpdevart_like_box profile_id=”1800133103582471″ connections=”show” width=”300″ height=”150″ header=”small” cover_photo=”show” locale=”en_US”]
11) Nicholas Roerich– A Russian painter, archaeologist,wroter,a public figure in Russia came to valley in 1929 in village Naggar and remained there till his last breath(1947).
The Nicholas Roerich art gallery museum is named after him as there are many rare paintings and other specimen of art.
12) Fish species like Rainbow Trout was also introduced in the rivers and streams of Kullu and Manali by the British.
13) The Great Himalayan National Park is in the Tirthan Valley of Kullu which is declared as one of the World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 2014.
14) The Rohtang tunnel is one of the World’s highest altitude tunnel at 3100 metres and 8.8 km in length which will reduce the distance by 60 km between the two famous towns of Manali and Keylong .
15) Nati performed at International Kullu Dusshera fair holds the Guinness Book of world record for highest number of people performing Nati at once.