Sirmour is the southernmost district of Himachal Pradesh. It has an area of around 2,825┬аkm┬▓. ┬аAccording to the 2011 census, Sirmour district has a population of 530,164. This gives it a ranking of 542nd in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 188 inhabitants per square kilometre (490/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 15.61%. Sirmour has a sex ratio of 915 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 79.98%. Headquarter of Sirmour district is at Nahan, which is the fifth largest city of Himachal Pradesh. Now lets talk about “11 facts about Sirmour District that you probably don’t know”
1. Churdhar Peak is┬аthe highest peak in lower Himalayas with an elevation of approximate 3647 metres.
2. George Everest, after whom Mount Everest is named, made many astronomical readings and sightings of the Himalaya mountains around 1834 from Churdhar.
3. Churdhar is supposed to be the place where Lord Hanuman came for the “Sanjeevni Booti” to save Lakshmana.
4. Renuka Lake is the largest natural lake in Himachal with the circumference of 3kms and is in a shape of lady. According to NK Meena, a senior scientist at Wadiya Institute of Dehradun, Renuka Lake is actually 15000 years old.
5. Kamrau village is called тАЬthe place of Limestone MillionairesтАЭ while Sataun is the largest Limestone market in Asia.
6. Shivalik or the Suketi Fossil park is Asia’s biggest fossil park. The fossils are sought to be of vertebrates that lived here about 2.5 million years ago. Scientists believe that the Shivalik Hills, which formed about twenty-five million years ago, show the evolution of mankind. The mammalian fossils found in this park are one of the world’s richest antiquities.
7. The park is the first of its kind in Asia to be developed at the actual discovery site of fossils.
9. Nahan has got the crown to organize the second Municipal Corporation in India, after Kolkata.
10. Largest Flower producing district in Himachal Pradesh.
11. Rajgarh town is called the ┬а“Peach Bowl of Asia” as it is famous for its peaches and accounts for 80% from overall revenue generated statewide from peaches.
We hope that you enjoyed reading about “11 facts about Sirmour District that you probably don’t know“. Do share this article and if you belong to Sirmour then you better share itЁЯШВ Tell us your thoughts on this article and how many facts did you already knew!
Pics for Churdhar was provided by very talented photographer Anunay Sood.