Dr.Yashwant Singh Parmar (4 August 1906 – 2 May 1981) was a leader of the Indian National Congress and the first Chief Minister of Himachal Pradesh. He was also the founder of the state Himachal Pradesh and therefore popularly referred as “Himachal Nirmaata“. He was born at Chanhalag village near Bagthan in a Rajput family in the erstwhile princely state of Sirmour. He studied in the Christian College in Lahore and later received his PhD from Lucknow University in 1944. Let us share “10 facts about Himachal Nirmaata Dr. Y.S. Parmar that you must know”
1. He was also a member of the prestigious Constituent Assembly.
2. His father, Bhandari Shivanand was an Urdu and Persian scholar of his time.
3. He led a Satyagraha Movement in Suket State which ultimately led for the formation of Himachal Pradesh in 1948.
5. Dr. Y.S. Parmar was the first person who took pride in calling himself a ‘Pahadi’ and it gave the rest of us an identity of our own of which we feel proud today.
6. He remained CM for 3 terms and served for 17 years.
7. He used to walk miles and miles to meet the people of his constituency living in even the remotest corner and listen to their problems and suggestions.
8. He was a big fan of Pahadi cuisine and traditional way of dressing up and living in the hills.
9. He even published a book by the title, “The social and economic background of himalayan Polyandry“, which became very popular and was also criticized by some at the same time.
10. During his last few days, his bank balance was Rs563 and 30 paise. He never misused his position and lived a life which was solely dedicated to well being of Himachal and Himachalis.
We hope that now you are feeling even more proud about being a Pahadi as we had got this identity and state which we call “Himachal Pradesh” by so much of hard work, patience, perseverance and commitment showed by Dr. Parmar. Today he is not among us physically but he will always be with us in our memories and the gift and pride he left for us and our future generation. We want to salute this great personality and hope that we keep on living and progress as a community and an individual the way he desired and stood for.
Disclaimer: All the pictures were taken from a facebook group called “Dr. Parmar the legend” and we don’t have the ownership.